Welcome!

Notes from the author...


First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.

***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Post Op Appointment Today Weds. 6-16-2010

I had mixed emotions heading to this appointment today. Felt everything was fine, but of course, it wasn't like I hadn't had surprises visiting doctors offices before. I had decided to stop on M-120 and see if the florist shop had some little something I could take with me. Just wanted to share some little bright thank you when I went into the office today. Knew it would make me feel good too.

When I walked into the refrigerated area I saw it right away. A little vase with three staggered bright red carnations, ferns, baby's breath. It was simple, elegant and perfect! Of course, it didn't hurt that I happened to have a red shirt on today either! On the card: "Dr. P and staff, Thank you for your help, encouragement, and support. Have a wonderful day!"

The look on Amanda's face when I handed it to her at the desk while checking in made everything perfect! After the appointment, I found out that Laurie had made sure Dr. P saw it before my appointment...sneaky girl that she is. The staff really is wonderful, I couldn't be luckier.

Dr. P and I had a chat about where we go from here. Seems I was right about Dr. B and that they had worked together on other cases. That made him the perfect choice for me too. The office staff will be working to get me an appointment with my likely new oncologist in the next two weeks. I just feel I will like working with him too, especially since they have already shared many cases together.

Next we talked about the chemotherapy and my herceptin treatments which will need to start soon as well. Dr. P wants to put in a port rather than having me get "needled" each time I come for treatment, which will be for an extensive period of time. If some of the "cocktail" (as I call it) gets out into the skin rather than in the vein, it can injury the surrounding good tissue. Dr. P would like to place a "port" under the skin and basically under my bra strap area on my right side. There would be a catheter threaded in a vein that goes towards my heart that would carry the "cocktail" more quickly an effectively through the body. A needle would be inserted into the port that is attached to my chemo bag. This is means less chance of error, infection, overusing veins, etc. I am still reading more about it, but I can certainly see the plusses over the other way. It will just require another out patient surgery in the next few weeks. When I was asked if I wanted to be put out when it was done...it was a definite YES!

You'll find more information on the "port" where all the links are posted below.

Tonight I went to my rehearsal for my smaller singing group, the Choral Belles. Rhonda brought me a wonderful bouquet of fresh picked flowers from her garden in a lovely clear vase with a glass butterfly on the side. It was precious and so very thoughtful. Of course, the loaf of banana bread was a special treat as well. We always have so many giggles running rampant at rehearsal...she is such a joy to be around along with the other talented women in the group including Carol, Ruth, Gerry and Hope during these summer months.

In the ride to the hospital, Walt told me that I was going to be surprised at the support, encouragement and love that would come from unusual or unexpected places or when I least expected it. Tonight, Pastor Dick was at Ferry Memorial (where we rehearse) for a meeting with some of his members. When I walked out with the other gals, he stopped, stood up, and said "Oh Donalee, how very wonderful to see you. I have been praying for you and hoping you were well." I thanked him again for his e-card and kind thoughts but most of all for his joy, sincere words and hug.

You were right, my friend. Blessings come when you least expect it...and often when the surprise of it touches you most deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment