The first day was mostly a blur and a LOT of sleeping, which was what I was supposed to do. Friends Sandy and Sandy Dimples, we call her, stopped by for a visit and it was nice to be checked on. Got a text from Walt who was making sure I was ok and then spent most of the rest of the day reading, sleeping, and taking my meds at 5 hour intervals to keep the pain at bay.
On Sunday, Carol stopped by after church to visit and see how things were going. She brought a book that a friend gave her for me to read, caught me up on plans for her trip to Oklahoma, and all the gardens she was trying to work on before she left. She is such an amazing, talented and giving person that I truly feel blessed that she wiggled in some time for me. She brought a wonderful picture of herself and her dog, Lena, that I have in a special silver frame with flowers (appropriate) to take with me to chemo treatments. I had read in another woman's diary about how comforting it was to have a couple pictures of her family/friends with her during chemo therapy. She said, "I was guaranteed to smile when I looked at them" and I do every time I look at her picture already. There's a comfort in that for me and I will work on gathering my other pictures before treatments start.
Both times Sandy and Carol used their keys to come in and that was fine. They were just checking to make sure I was ok and these first few days, I had no problem with that at all. There would come a time, and not long after, when I was able to care for myself again, and didn't need the unexpected key in the lock. But for the first few days after surgery, it was good to know that they would all be checking...with a key, a phone call, or a text message to make sure nothing went wrong. And that meant the world to me.
Being on my own is challenging enough! When you have breast cancer, you have more decisions to make than you expect, more options than you ever imagined, more emotions than you can sometimes handle, and have to trust people you hardly know. When there isn't a partner, spouse, parent, sibling or child in your life, who shares in the important decisions, deals with your highs AND lows, helps when you can't help yourself? How much is too much to ask? Guess we'll take it a day at a time and see...
Welcome!
Notes from the author...
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
No comments:
Post a Comment