No results on Friday, May 7 as expected because I got scared and impatient, was driving myself nuts, and desperately needed a diversion. Dr. P called and left a message at 3:45, less than an hour after I left to escape in a movie, Iron Man II. While I was enjoying the antics of Robert Downey Jr. and the wonders of Lucas magic, she let me know she called and said very little. I felt I already knew what she was going to say...
Kept myself busy throughout the weekend and anxiously awaited the call on Monday. She asked if I had been somewhat suspicious when people did not seem real eager to talk with me. Had to admit, that did reinforce my thinking. The words that I remember from her conversation were "it is cancer","you have invasive ductal carcinoma". I know we spoke about other things but I couldn't tell you anymore about what she said since everything else remains a bit of a blur. She suggested I come in and pick up a book they have for cancer patients because I might find it helpful before our meeting tomorrow and it is required by the state that it be reviewed with every cancer patient.
After I got off the phone, I took a moment to take it all in. Amazingly enough, I didn't cry. I focused on getting to her office, picking up the information, and starting to learn all I could and decide what I was going to do about it. It didn't take much to convince my dog, Foxy, that we needed a ride and we were off.
When I arrived at her office, the receptionist contacted the wonderfully kind and patient nurse who would also end up being part of my care team. We went into a room where we could speak privately and reviewed the book and other materials she had for me together. I had to sign a document that verified I had received the information as required by Michigan state law.
Arriving home, I finished reading the book and perusing the other pamphlets. I tried to make sense of it all but knew it was going to take time. I contacted two of my friends and let them know. That was very difficult for me. I contacted the American Cancer Society for the free materials they suggested to help me organize my "disease" and all the many, many things I was now going to have to keep track of. And I thought the appointments were troublesome enough! Too overwhelming tonight. I am certain it will be an interesting appointment tomorrow, that's for sure!
Being on my own is challenging enough! When you have breast cancer, you have more decisions to make than you expect, more options than you ever imagined, more emotions than you can sometimes handle, and have to trust people you hardly know. When there isn't a partner, spouse, parent, sibling or child in your life, who shares in the important decisions, deals with your highs AND lows, helps when you can't help yourself? How much is too much to ask? Guess we'll take it a day at a time and see...
Welcome!
Notes from the author...
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment