It's Monday...
I called Mayo at 9:00 CDT this morning inquiring as to whether or not my pathology testing was completed, asking if I needed to stay for any other further tests or could head for home. They left a message for my oncology nurse practitioner, Katie, to give me a call on my cell phone. Since she was so good about returning calls, I just started packing up my belongings without any worries, certain she would be calling before I even got things to my car.
So I checked on my next hotel reservation, in case I needed it, and began to pack up my extensive "Mayo Library" of materials as well as all my clothes, etc. I enjoyed a cup of yogurt and looked forward to stopping one last time at Starbucks for a morning coffee. I was packed up by 10:45, went downstairs to pick up a cart so I didn't have to make as many trips, and was so grateful to be able to do it in one trip from the room.
After paying my parking expense for the four days, I wheeled my cart towards the parking garage door and went out to get the car. All the time I was loading it, I kept hoping that I wouldn't have to unload and do this all again in a couple days. It's been fun to have this vacation and I love staying in hotels, but usually when I can go more places and see more things...certainly not when it involves a medical situation that's had me tied in knots too long now!
Since Katie had not called yet, I decided I needed to go face to face with the wonderful receptionists/nurses at the oncology front desk on Gonda's 10th floor. If anyone could help me and get me the answers I needed, those ladies are the absolute best! There were at least 30 people waiting either to be seen or waiting for someone and I wasn't at all surprised. That is how it's been every time I've been up there. I walked to the waiting area and was the first and only in line, miracle of miracles, so I was able to get right up front.
"I have been waiting for a call from Dr. G or nurse practitioner Katie Z to let me know if my test results have been completed, if I have an appointment scheduled or if I can just go home. Can you help?" They punched the right things into the computer...Mayo patient number, last name, first name, birthdate and out popped the print out. Empty! So Rachel got right on the phone and called the department to get us both some news.
"Testing was completed, results were in and Katie has been tied up with patients, was presently with another, but would try to get to me as soon as she could," she reported. I thanked both the women who helped get my answers for me and headed back downstairs.
There was another beautiful concert in the atrium so I paused to listen for a moment. One woman with a very melodic soprano voice was singing "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera. That is the fifth time I've walked into the hospital and heard a selection from that musical...definitely haunting me here! Good thing I love that musical so much.
I listened to a few more various selections then headed across the street to Starbucks for my coffee and to use the computer for awhile, fully intending to catch up on my blog and get things posted. Within 15 minutes, I received the call from Katie, who apologize profusely for the delay, bless her heart.
The tests had been completed at the end of last week and the new pathology report on the lumpectomy tissue indicated that I am NOT HER2 positive. Now, I know that should have been great news to hear at that moment, but please understand. This was the third change in my diagnosis since this roller coaster ride began and HER2 positive has been with me for almost 3 months! It has been the knot in my stomach for SO LONG and now I hear "your tumor is HER2 negative, not positive". I was speechless again, just like in Dr. B's office.
She shared some other things with me, answered some of the questions I had as best she could, and told me she was so happy to be able to share this news since it also meant no more worries about Herceptin. I thanked her for all her help, support, and kindness and told her how much I appreciated her taking the time to share this news. She said she would be checking with Dr. G but that it was highly unlikely there would be any further reason for me to stay. She said what I had been hoping to hear today...I could go home!
As soon as I clicked off the call, I didn't know whether to laugh, cheer or cry! Am I really HER2 negative? What was my numerical rating? I should have asked! 0, 1+, 2+? I know it's not 3+ anymore, but what is it? These questions and others were swirling around in my head but I won't get any clarity here until I see the pathology report they just completed and talk with Dr. A.
So I just packed up the computer, grabbed my coffee and focused on getting over to the hotel and canceling the reservation I made for tonight in case I had to stay. And with that thought in mind, a huge smile crossed my face. For right now, she says HER2 negative so I'm taking it. Whatever else happens, happens. But the best news today is...I am really going home!
Being on my own is challenging enough! When you have breast cancer, you have more decisions to make than you expect, more options than you ever imagined, more emotions than you can sometimes handle, and have to trust people you hardly know. When there isn't a partner, spouse, parent, sibling or child in your life, who shares in the important decisions, deals with your highs AND lows, helps when you can't help yourself? How much is too much to ask? Guess we'll take it a day at a time and see...
Welcome!
Notes from the author...
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
YES !!!
ReplyDelete