I needed a diversion and something soothing. After receiving some information on Rochester, I discovered on Monday evenings at 7:00 pm in one of the buildings on the Mayo campus, you can hear the sound of 56 carillon bells played by a local carilloneur. It is a special program each week and lasts for about 30 minutes.
Walking back to the Gorda Building, I wandered around the garden spaces until I found a wooden garden bench surrounded by beautiful flowers and trees on a carpet of lush green grass.
It was a beautiful evening and I noticed many others who have paused to listen from other marble or wooden benches that are strategically and attractively placed throughout the area. There is a lovely fountain nearby, flower beds shaped in waves, semi-circles and ovals, some on raised areas as well as in planters.
While listening, I noticed lots of conflict in the music, dissonance. Definitely fitting for what went on today and likely occurs for many people. There are all measures of expressions from the people surrounding me. I am certain there is calm reflected in my face but wouldn't be surprised to see confusion. A few people are quietly chatting but most are just listening, reverently.
Briefly the thought of not leaving until next week flows by. There are classes I was interested in attending, workshops that could be helpful, places to visit around the area, special spaces to just think for awhile and just "be". I know I can fill the time.
Quickly my thoughts go back with appreciation for the uniqueness in the music, the beauty of this space, and the blessing of being surrounded with blue skies and a cool warmth that is truly perfection!
I took an evening walk and covered about 6 or 8 blocks ending up at Barnes and Noble. When I went upstairs to where I could finally get my Starbucks for the day, the escalator took me up to a "castle". Being in an old theater building, it was a lighted set that surrounded most of the upstairs area and a welcome surprise that was exceptionally well done. Great place to spend some time and enjoy my coffee before a very pleasant walk back to the hotel.
No getting up at 6:00 am tomorrow which will be very nice. It will also be interesting to see what the day has in store for me. I'll let you know...;-)
Being on my own is challenging enough! When you have breast cancer, you have more decisions to make than you expect, more options than you ever imagined, more emotions than you can sometimes handle, and have to trust people you hardly know. When there isn't a partner, spouse, parent, sibling or child in your life, who shares in the important decisions, deals with your highs AND lows, helps when you can't help yourself? How much is too much to ask? Guess we'll take it a day at a time and see...
Welcome!
Notes from the author...
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
No comments:
Post a Comment