Welcome!

Notes from the author...


First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.

***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~



Friday, July 23, 2010

The "Racing Stripe" Mystery Friday, July 23, 2010

On Wednesday I went out to the Galaxy theater to have dinner (popcorn and soda of course) and watch Sorcerors Apprentice. The chairs were velvety, high backed and rocked! I was in heaven and seated right in the middle with the aisle in front of me. Leg room AND a rocking chair!

After I left the theater and got into my car I noticed a black stripe on my right pant leg just above the knee. Well, I had purchased some new sandals that morning for walking and thought "Hmmm, must be the black on the bottom of the sandal that rubbed off on my pant. Have to be more careful." I thought about it a bit more. Didn't think I had put my shoe on my knee...hmmmm.

I looked down and noticed a spot on the back of my left calf. Ok, this is weird! There's no way I rubbed my shoe there! Or did I? Just because, I looked at the back of my right calf. Sure enough, there was a spot there too! Now this is ridiculous! Luckily I had some napkins in the car, took some water and rubbed it off. Rhonda didn't know how handy her moisturizing cream was going to be as I had that on my legs and the unknown black gook came off pretty easily with a couple napkins I had stowed away. There! Done!

Off I went back to the hotel, got out of the car, walked into the lobby and headed back upstairs. Got into my room and was taking off my sandals when "Dang!" I again had two spots, same place! "I've been in the car for crying out loud there is no way I put my sandals on the backs of my legs." Went in the bathroom, washed it off, wondered awhile, then left it for Thursday.

Went all over the place on foot on Thursday and even wore the same shoes. The area stores were having sidewalk sales, so I was browsing and just enjoying the day. I kept looking down every so often to check and see if I had managed to "scuff" up the backs of my calves but no evidence. That started to put the focus on the car.

Friday I walked the skyway to the Mayo building to take a Tai Chi class. They have several auditoriums used for a variety of classes, presentations and other activities. I had to be there at 8:30 am and it was quite enjoyable. Did some research in the library, wandered through some of the shops in the subway between Mayo Clinic and Barnes and Noble about 2 blocks away. Had a cup of coffee from Starbucks, read, clear legs still! But, the mystery was about to end.

About 2:30, I got in the car to find the second movie theater on my list. I felt my brain was ready for a challenge and some good music so I was off to see Inception. Just before I got out of the car to go into the theater I looked down...Dang! My black racing stripes were there again, in about the same place, same direction!

I took out some of my extra napkins, opened the car door, reached down alongside the seat along the bottom of the door frame. First, nothing. Then I went along the side. YUCK! Grease! Of course I didn't see it. My car is brown and even when you look for it you can't see it. I took a couple more napkins and got off what I THOUGHT was all of it. Little did I know...

Went into the movie theater, got my ticket, looked down and I had managed to get more on each leg and I thought I had avoided it as I slid out of the car. Into the bathroom and thank goodness for paper towels! I put a couple in my purse to help when I came back out.

The movie and dinner was great and, of course, I had forgotten all about my little adventure with my greasy car. In I went and could have hit myself over the head with a hammer! Duh! A little farther down, but still there! Two lovely black racing stripes.

Further examination when I returned to the hotel showed there wasn't anything on the right side of my car, only the drivers side. When I was in WA, kids were known to pull pranks like this in the mall parking lots either as initiation or just to be pests. I used those paper towels, wiped all the space below the door down really well and remained "racing stripe free" through my whole Saturday trip. For a person who loves mysteries, it certainly took me long enough to figure out my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment