Had a lovely visit with a friend this morning, partly when we were both driving in our cars. I could hear the excitement in his voice as he talked of new plans, new decisions, and a future that looked brighter than it had in a very long time. Knowing of the hardships that have been endured, I certainly couldn't have been any more delighted to hear the excitement in his voice. This was definitely going to be a week filled with much joy, fun and positive events for him and that in itself makes me smile. He has been through SO much, it is time!
When we disconnected, my only thought was that I hope it's all for real this time. I hope things will continue to move forward and the relationship will develop into everything he has hoped for, sacrificed for, and believed would happen. Finally an opportunity for more flexibility, more time to work on the relationship and a chance for closeness rather than being at a distance so much of the time.
Loving at a distance is something I know a lot about, after having been married for 27 years with 19 of those being at a distance. Only geography, not in our hearts, however. Jamie was busy with his project and finally achieving and obtaining the patent for it he so richly deserved. I completed a very successful and delightful 32 years of teaching with wonderful opportunities, memorable activities, and dear students and colleagues, able to do many things a move east would not have allowed me to accomplish. He recognized that, I didn't at the time.
Love for us meant sacrificing things and we did that for each other without thinking. Sometimes I regret things, as I think we all do. But then I look at the many ways that I am richer for that experience. I know about giving, trusting, honoring, believing, and sacrificing for something or someone you believe in. It wasn't an effort, it just was the way it should be because of loving someone that much.
Would I recommend that lifestyle to anyone else? Not likely, for it wasn't what I grew up wanting. I always believed I would have the house, the wonderful husband to come home to or who came home every night to adore, and children to enjoy even at their worst moments and delight in helping and loving as they became adults.
But I was loved, incredibly much, and loved him deeply as well. We knew it and I see more and more how very blessed I was after all and how much I want it and more for those I care about.
Being on my own is challenging enough! When you have breast cancer, you have more decisions to make than you expect, more options than you ever imagined, more emotions than you can sometimes handle, and have to trust people you hardly know. When there isn't a partner, spouse, parent, sibling or child in your life, who shares in the important decisions, deals with your highs AND lows, helps when you can't help yourself? How much is too much to ask? Guess we'll take it a day at a time and see...
Welcome!
Notes from the author...
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
First I want to express my heartfelt THANK YOU to my chosen family members and my caring and supportive friends. Just knowing you are there brings much comfort and is a constant reminder that with love, all things are possible! PLEASE remember that nothing shared here is ever meant to hurt and I hope you will keep that in mind if you read something that touches you that way.
***If you would like to start where it all began, go to the post #1 "Why a Blog?" Thank you for taking the time to share my life experiences as a reader and a friend. Blessings to you all~
No comments:
Post a Comment